Sunday, March 12, 2006

Pushing the boundaries

By John Cheeran
Sunil Gavaskar carried his bat through the 60 overs in a World Cup game to remain not out at 36.
One-day cricket was in its infancy then.
As the news of South Africa successfully chasing Australia’s score of 434 for four in 50 overs in Johannesburg reaches me, I’m unsure of my response. Should I laugh or cry?
South Africa beat Australia by one wicket as Herschelle Gibbs anchored their chase with a brilliant 175 made from only 111 balls. Ricky Ponting had made 165 earlier in the day.
What else is not possible in cricket?
Well, one record is yet to fall. A double century in a 50-over international is yet to happen. It could well have happened in Johannesburg.
Virender Sehwag must dream bigger now.
Since the scoring rate of almost nine runs happened in a game between two of the strongest teams in contemporary crcket – Australia and South Africa – none will question the authenticity of the Johannesburg run glut.
Or I presume so.
How I wish someone could gauge the mind of those hapless bowlers while they were being murdered on the field.

No comments:

ജാലകം
 
John Cheeran at Blogged