Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Let Kabul go to hell

By John Cheeran
Almost a month ago, Reuters were looking for journalists to become chief correspondent in Kabul, Afghanistan.
I too had received the opportunity alert for the same slot.
Though I was jobless then, it did not take me long to say, no, thank you to Reuters.
It is better to starve without a job than be a victim of senseless Taliban.
When I read about Indian engineer Satyanarayana's murder in Afghanistan, I recalled the Reuters opportunity alert.
Though I felt sad for poor Satyanarayana and his family, I was relieved that I at least made one correct decision in a decade or so.
It is true that Satyanarayana did not join a company based in Afghanistan but in Bahrain. But even then he would not have been oblivious to the fact that his company will be doing business mainly with perilous places such as Afghanistan and Iraq.
No amount of money is worth losing your life in such a gory manner that is happening in Afganistan and Iraq.
It is better to commit suicide in India rather than letting the enemy slit your throat for his religious thrill.
And no news is worth reporting from Kabul and Kandahar at the cost of your life.
Let Kabul rot, I can't care less.

No comments:

ജാലകം
 
John Cheeran at Blogged