Friday, November 04, 2005

An SMS to Mr Ganguly

I'm just curious.
What was Sourav Ganguly doing when India played Sri Lanka in Pune on Thursday?
For that matter, what what was he doing when India played Sri Lanka at Nagpur, Mohali and Jaipur?
Was the former Indian skipper watching the match on TV? I wish he was. Because more than anyone in India -- there, I include both Rahul Dravid and GregChappell -- Ganguly has reasons to be interested in what happens out there in the middle when Indians are sweating it out.
The shape of former Indian captain's future depends on how good or how bad India performs. So Ganguly, definitely, is a party keenly interested in the proceedings. Living through these four days, away from the Indian dressing room, would have been more harrowing to Ganguly than facing up to some of the fastest bowlers in world cricket. Against bowlers he could have walked away to square leg.
Now there are no such luxuries. At its best he could switch TV channels. India, the Team India that is, did not miss Ganguly at all. I have no reasons to believe that even his thickest buddy in the dressing room - Harbhajan Singh -- would have missed his former skipper.
A lot has happened in these four match days.
The so-called weakest links in a performing -let me put it winning -team proved too strong against Sri Lankan assault in Pune.Venugopala Rao, whom Ganguly was desperate to ease out, came good on the right time.
I hope Sunil Gavaskar did watch Venugopala bat out there.
So did the left-hander Suresh Raina, who displayed his mettle, in a very crucial juncture.
For Ganguly to sneak back into the Indian team now seems a tall order. But he is a brave man.
I know. But does he really have the courage to ring up Rahul Dravid and tell him "Rahul, you have done a fabulous job. Indian cricket will be safe in your hands. All of you have performed so well so that I don't think Indian cricket needs me any longer. I wish all the best for you guys."
I have just sent an SMS to Ganguly.
I have wished Ganguly all the best for his future.
I wish he does the same to Rahul Dravid and his colleagues.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it is time ganguly packed his bags

ജാലകം
 
John Cheeran at Blogged