Thursday, February 25, 2010

An ache without any balm

By John Cheeran
I never prepared so delicious a meal such as this night.
After all, this feast is in my honour.
As glasses clink in the raised hands
I can feel the stab of shattered shards in my heart.
I poured a little of my blood, still left after all these years of recriminations, to the sauce.
It tastes great, a kind man remarked with that rare parting of lips.
Beloved, you don’t know the taste of my blood, after all these years?
What do you know of me?
An ache without any balm, a cheek without colour
A breath without life, a look without vision
You, in your feigned innocence, know nothing of these.
I was the easy picking.
I was the lamb who waited for the butcher’s knife with no taste of life and love, before or since.
Now, can you see that glint of ingratitude in my eyes, as
I serve and play the perfect host to your unsuspecting but scrutinizing eyes and palates?
If only I could drink from wells other than you
I would have dissolved
I would have merged in muddy rivers
reeking of slush, sweat, rum and dreams
As lights dim during this night,
This anniversary of primal conquest,
Can you recognize the silhouette of rebel and a dreamer
That still prays for deliverance
From you as well as your kindness that kicks me in absent hours?

2 comments:

chithrangada said...

if i could drink from wells other than u!!!!!!!!!!!!!
all wells contain same water,pure and tasty on top,with mud and decay as u go deeeper.if u eat gooseberry(long feverish talks,tiffs,.......)first,it will taste sweet for sometime,but how long?????

johncheeran said...

Till the very end. Till the very end.Till the very end. Till the very end.Till the very end. Till the very end. Till the very end.Till the very end. Till the very end.Till the very end. Till the very end.

ജാലകം
 
John Cheeran at Blogged