Sunday, March 11, 2007

Easy speaks Yuvraj Singh

TRELAWNY, Jamaica, March 7
Indian batsman Yuvraj Singh wants to excel with both bat and ball at the World Cup after overcoming an injury thatalmost sidelined him for the showpiece event starting in West Indies next week.
The 25-year-old middle-order batsman shone with his power shots on debut as ateenager in 2000 and then overcame criticism of his attitude to mature into adependable player and superb fielder in the last two years.The Punjab playertore left knee ligaments in October to leave his team concerned for the WorldCup but stroked a series-winning 95 not out at home against Sri Lanka last monthto display his form and fitness."I've worked really hard on my fitness," Yuvraj said on Wednesday.
"It wasn't easy coming back from such an injury butyou have to build on it."I'm sure by the time I play my first game on 17th,I'll be 100 percent."That innings (95 not out) was very important for me tobuild up for the World Cup because I was out for four months and had no runsbehind me."India face group B opponents Bangladesh in their first match onMarch 17 in Port-of-Spain, Trinidad.Sri Lanka and Bermuda are the other teamsin the group.
Yuvraj, an outstanding fielder at point, grabbedfour wickets bowling his slow left-arm spin in the 182-run victory overunfancied Netherlands on Tuesday.
Skipper Rahul Dravid praised the youngster askey to the team's search for an effective fifth bowler.However, the main focuson Yuvraj -- with 4,412 runs from 163 one-dayers -- will be his batting.He hasscored fifty or more 33 times, including seven hundreds and India have lost onlyeight of those matches."I've had a good run in the one-dayers in the last twoyears," he said.
"Whenever I go in to bat, I think I need to play till the end,finish the game off."The captain has faith in me and that is what I'm going totry and do in this World Cup.""I'm very happy my contributions have ended up inthe team winning, I'll be the happiest to contribute to the team's victory everytime but it is not possible all the time."However, Yuvraj felt it would not beeasy for batsmen.
"The ball doesn't come on to the bat so you have to spend timein the middle, assess the wicket, opposition and what score you need to put onthe board."He is expected to team up as a part-time spin bowlers with SachinTendulkar and Virender Sehwag."That is an advantage in my team, it is easy tofind a fifth bowler," said Yuvraj, rating highly the title hopes."We play wellin such wickets in India also," he said. "But it is going to be do-or-die forevery team."

No comments:

ജാലകം
 
John Cheeran at Blogged