Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Brian Lara: Loving a Loser

By John Cheeran
It is impossible to think of cricket now and not to think of Brian Lara.
I could watch only a slice of the coruscating innings (the second innings effort of 122, he made 61 in the first innings) the West Indian great unfurled in Lahore, spread over Monday and Tuesday.
After his efforts failed in staving off the defeat, the West Indian captain made some interesting comments.
"I was looking to play a long innings, but unfortunately it didn't happen. When I went out to bat today I wanted to bat the whole day and even tomorrow. That's why I didn't take off my helmet when I completed the century."
That century was Lara’s 33rd in Test cricket.
It is also interesting to note that at 37, the West Indian relived some of his classic shots with the same relish when he made his Test debut at the same venue, Lahore, 16 years ago.
Lara is still behind two Indian giants when you count 1 to 100 – Sachin Tendulkar (35) and Sunil Gavaskar (34).
But such footnotes do not matter when you discuss Lara.
Lara is a man (well, he is more than a batsman) made for crises.
Lara is one contemporary cricketer beyond boundaries and numbers. Those are reserved for brand icons, not for the greatest.
Quite often it is asked what does it matter if you score a century and still your team loses.
It is a pertinent question.
You cannot look at an individual’s achievement without factoring in his team’s performance. And it has been pointed out that out of Lara’s 33 centuries, only eight have given the West Indies victory.
It is difficult, and moreover unprofitable, to love a loser.
All my love I’m sending to you, mate.

No comments:

ജാലകം
 
John Cheeran at Blogged