Sunday, March 11, 2007

Clippings: Sehwag hides behind Dravid

MONTEGO BAY, Jamaica, March 9, 2007
Indian opener Virender Sehwag has promised to justify captain Rahul Dravid's backing with runs for India at the World Cup.
Chairman of selectors Dilip Vengsarkar said lastweek the struggling 28-year-old had been picked for the World Cup after Dravid insisted on his inclusion for the showpiece event.A grateful Sehwag says he isdetermined to prove his worth when India open their campaign against Bangladeshin Trinidad on March 17."The backing I've received from Dravid has been a hugemorale booster," Sehwag told reporters ahead of Friday's final warm-up matchagainst the West Indies here."I now want to justify the faith in me and live upto the expectations."Sehwag was included despite scoring just 273 runs in 15one-dayers, including an unimpressive 19 off 23 balls against Sri Lanka a daybefore the squad was picked on February 12.
However he appeared to regain formwith a typically aggressive 46 in the final match against the Sri Lankans fivedays later.
"I was confident of staging a comeback and the time I spent awayfrom international cricket helped me get my focus back," he said."I did a lotof meditation."I'm quite happy with my form now. It's getting better and betterwith every session in the nets. I want to stay longer at the crease."
Sehwag,the only Indian to compile a triple century in Test cricket, has scored 4,833runs from 167 one-dayers with seven centuries. He is also a useful offspinbowler with 72 one-day wickets, giving Dravid an option of an additionalspinner. Sehwag said he was not concerned over being removed as vice-captain onthe tour of South Africa in December-January because of his poor form.
"I wasnot expecting the vice-captaincy when it was given to me, nor was I disappointedwhen it was taken away," he said. Senior pro Sachin Tendulkar, who voluntarily stepped down as India captain in 2000 to concentrate on his batting, waselevated as vice-captain to Dravid for the World Cup.

No comments:

ജാലകം
 
John Cheeran at Blogged